Olomana

Second and third peaks
DATE: 13 June, 2010
TOTAL TIME: 4.5 hrs
DIFFICULTY: Medium-Hard
PARTICIPANTS: "Reef Shoes" Jason, "Mellow" Morgan, "Hangover" Lynnale, "The Optimist" Jeremy, "Loafer" Mike, the other Mike, and Me
REHIKE VALUE: 7

Completion Stats.
1st Peak: All
2nd Peak: Lynnale, "Loafer" Mike, Jeremy, Morgan, Me
3rd Peak: Lynnale, Jeremy, "Loafer" Mike, Me

I wanted to save this one for a later date, but I heard about some hot blonde girl who was going on this one. So, me being me, I decided to see what the hike was all about. Okay, okay, I wanted to meet the blonde too. Geez. I’m a guy. Gimme a break.

Left to right: "Reef Shoes" Jason, Me, "Mellow" Morgan, "Hangover" Lynnale, "The Optimist" Jeremy, "Loafer" Mike, The Other Mike

Trailhead for Olomana is located within the premises of the Luana Hills Country Club
I heard many things about this one. Something about dangerous, and hard, and blah blah, so after downing about three Heinekens, I felt ready to begin. If it wasn't for the exhausting walk up the first ridge, Olomana would've easily made the top of my favorites list. It sobered me up very quickly. Other than that, this hike was fantastic.

The climb up the first peak was a lot of this

Fighting the vertigo
Also called Three Peaks, the trail consists of Pu'u Olomana, Pu'u Paku'i, and Pu'u Ahiki. Most people who say they've done Olomana are probably bullshitting you and only talking about the first peak, which is the tallest with the best view. Views are great and all, but the fun comes between the second and third peaks, which consists of steep descents and narrow rock scrambling.

Windward side from the first peak

Slowly navigating the second peak
Climbing the third peak isn't as bad as a lot of people say. If you're scared of heights, then yes, maybe. I felt that climbing back up the second peak from the back side was a pain in the ass due to its near vertical nature. If it wasn't for this short but steep 50 foot climb, this hike would've been rated Medium. I have to say, I trust rock. I don't trust rope, and I did the entire hike without relying on rope except when I climbed back up the second peak. After finally running out of hand and footholds, I took a leap of faith (for me) and grabbed the rope to complete the climb. I still don't trust rope, but it helped (damnit). Great hike. Not long and kind of challenging. Maybe better if you were on acid, but I wouldn't know. Plus, you get the satisfaction of conquering Hawaii's so-called version of the "Matterhorn." Of course the REAL Matterhorn is super stupid crazy and in the Himalayas, so I don’t know how you can compare the two.

Oh, and I met the blonde. She’s pretty cool.

Edging around the rock formation known as 'The Keyhole'

Chill-laxing at the end of the third peak

Taking a breather on the ascent to the third peak

The blonde, Marta

No comments:

Post a Comment