La'ie Summit

View of the valley below from the trail
DATE: 5 June, 2010
TOTAL TIME: 5.5 hrs
DIFFICULTY: Medium
PARTICIPANTS: "Loafer" Mike, "Sunburn" Samantha, Kelly, "The Optimist" Jeremy, and me
REHIKE VALUE: 2

Started off easy enough, but holy cow! This was a total pain in the ass of a hike. As roller coaster terrain goes, this one was all up and down, up and down. There was nothing dangerous about it, but I prefer the 'advanced' Tripler and Middle ridges any day over this rollercoaster crap.

Left to right: "The Optimist" Jeremy, "Loafer" Mike, Kathy, "Sunburn" Samantha, Me

Plenty of signs warning us of our imminent death should we go down the wrong path
The walk through an alley of strawberry guava trees was neat… for about 10 minutes. After about an hour, it got really old. When you do get to the summit, you can see all of North Shore, parts of Kaneohe, Ewa Beach, and most of the inland empire. Of course, you have a great landscape view of the ever intimidating Mt. Ka'ala (aka. Dupont) in the distance. But, by the time I reached the top, I couldn't have cared less about the view.

Much of the initial path is lined with seemingly thousands of strawberry guava trees like these

It looks much closer than it is, but there's always just one more hill ...
Unless you REALLY like views, take a right at the trail junction and make your way to the La'ie waterfall. Probably not a trail I will repeat unless I plan on traversing from there to some other part of the Ko'olau mountain range.

Hold on, give me a second to think about my last statement...

Nope, I will not be repeating this one.

Up the scrambling hills

Northeast coastline from the summit

Take a guess where this trail goes

Mt Ka'ala, Pu'u Kalena, and Pu'u Hapapa in the distance

No comments:

Post a Comment